Friday, February 29, 2008

pause button

Kids get into these mental routines. Whenever my 5 year old is watching something on TV and we turn off the TV for something we deem necessary (like eating dinner) he asks, "Did you pause it?" whether or not we're watching a DVD or other type of recording.

"Did you pause it?" It's a good question to ask about my life. Have I paused it, stopped my busy-ness and given myself time to rest and reflect, to disengage from the crazy pace of Silicon Valley life that threatens to eat me up whole, to guard my soul from all the things that want to invade and take control of my life? Have I paused to give the Holy Spirit space in my schedule to work in me?

My Treo gives lots of things priority time in my schedule. For an hour I set aside time for this person or that activity. Maybe it's time to schedule in prayer or Bible reading or 10 minutes for silence, to give God some priority time. Maybe it's time to ask about my own life: have I paused it?

"In quietness and trust is your strength." Isaiah 30:15

No comments: