Saturday, September 22, 2012

unconditional love

Christian psychologist David Seamands has said: "...the two major causes of most emotional problems among evangelical Christians are these: the failure to understand, receive, and live out God's unconditional grace and forgiveness; and the failure to give out that unconditional love, forgiveness, and grace to other people."

What is unconditional love?

Here's a simple definition: getting rid of "should". Or at least being very careful of how I use the phrase, ""You should" or even "I should". When I tell someone "You should" I'm often telling them that I have expectations of them that they need to meet as a condition for my acceptance of them. When I think "I should" I could be feeling the weight of expectations from people in my life, whether or not those expectations are real.

No comments: