Saturday, March 29, 2008

a good Lent?

Did you have a good Lent?

My fast this year was from listening to the stereo in the car. It wasn’t a big deal when my family was in the car: my kids can chatter incessantly with or without the stereo. But in my other travels it did offer a chance to cultivate an attitude of listening to God.

But during Holy Week I decided to change my fast to listening only to excerpts from Bach’s “St. Matthew Passion” and “St. John Passion”. That listening experience has led me to a conclusion: I’ve been robbed.

I grew up in a Christian tradition that didn’t observe Lent and that saw Good Friday as mostly a speed bump before Easter. The desire was to focus on the joy and triumph of Easter.

In contrast, Bach’s two musical reflections on Christ’s Passion (his suffering and death) don't end with glorious Resurrection scenes. They are both comprised of songs of lament, grief, and reflection, ending with exhausted lullabies to Christ’s body in the tomb. And they have helped me glimpse the experience of a deeper appreciation of the joy and victory of Easter through the lens of sorrow and suffering. It’s only a glimpse because I have so little personal tradition to draw on. It makes me feel like a woefully inadequate guide to helping Grace Community understand Easter more fully, kind of like a little kid trying to explain the complexities of the adult world.

Some of this ignoring of the depths of the pain of mortality comes from a Protestant shying away from things that seem too Rome-ish, i.e., staying away from “graven images” (the second Commandment) and wanting to say that our empty crosses are better than the crucifixes that still have the suffering Christ stuck on them. And then there's the American preoccupation with avoiding anything having to do with death (except, for some odd reason, slasher movies and the various iterations of CSI).

The fact that I grew up in a Chinese American church community may also have something to do with this. When European missionaries first went to China they found that their devotional paintings of Christ’s suffering didn’t evoke the expected sense of sympathy. Instead the Chinese thought that a suffering person was just getting what s/he deserved. The missionaries had to change to images like the holy family, ideas that resonated more with the Chinese worldview.

Whatever the causes, I’m realizing that I can’t really celebrate Easter until I have a deeper appreciation for Christ’s emptying to take on my human-ness, including my experiences of suffering and death. These are terrible and repulsive things that I’d rather not be reminded of. But that’s the purpose of Lent. I’ll try again next year to have a good Lent.

No comments: