Sunday, February 22, 2009

images

This Sunday is a unique Sunday for Grace Community and a significant Sunday for one of our families: a baby is being dedicated AND her dad is being baptized! And we just had a baby dedication last Sunday and we’ll have another in less than a month.

I wear a robe to do baby dedications. Some might wonder why. I wasn’t raised in a “liturgical” church. In fact, I was raised in a very austere, conservative church: no images, no artwork in the sanctuary, no candles. Use of the word "ritual" was always negative. The focus was on Bible study and telling others the Gospel. So why the candles and robes today?

Part of the answer is found in a book I just finished reading, “Called out of darkness” by Anne Rice (yes, of “Interview with the vampire” fame). She recalls the images, sounds, textures and even smells of her Roman Catholic upbringing in New Orleans. Then she writes of her 38 years as an avowed atheist, out of which God called her back to himself. The power of that call was obviously due to the work of the Holy Spirit. But God used the rich physical presence of her early upbringing to continually remind her that he loved her and was calling her back to himself.

I think the richest part of my early church upbringing was the wonderful music. We didn’t have candles or robes or images, but we loved music, especially classical music. In that music I sensed the beauty, goodness and truth of God. I’m sad that we don’t use more of that sort of music in our worship today (but I’m not going to insist snobbishly that we use music in our worship that has become inaccessible to many people). But I think that in our visual culture we can offer images, including the image of the pastor in a robe and the people of the community laying on hands in blessing, to give our kids the sense that God is present in the life of our worshiping community.

1 comment:

Quantum scales said...

Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern says Alfred North Whitehead.

I think it is safe to extend that definition beyond art to other forms of cultural and religious expression: gestures, music, rituals, quoting of scripture. If our identity is part of a wider community, we are blessed with the richness (joy) that comes with having a common shared context.

Scripture, hymns, Bach, Rachmaninoff, and Coltrane can absolutely get me. On the performance side, it is a lot more challenging. Like many boomers, I behave much like a modern, can't dance or perform an elaborate ritual. Still, I can experience the kindness from a smile, the mystery of the Eucharist, or the touching of a mesusah. - Mike EPA