Tuesday, June 11, 2013

raising Grace

My friend Brian Woodson tells me, "I need other men to help me raise my boys." I've found that to be true with both my daughters and my son. And it's also true with a church.

I don't have all the resources within myself to develop Grace Community. That's OK: God has given us a wonderful denomination that has a "congregational vitality" department. The Veritas workshop (a church vitality assessment offered by our denomination) showed me that outside people are able to speak truth into our church community better than I can. The question is: am I going to be threatened by that or am I going to receive the help that they offer?

I need other leaders to help me raise Grace Community to become the church that God wants us to be. I don't want to become like the frazzled parents who try to be "super parents" and find that consulting experts is less effective and way more expensive than getting a little help from their community. We have a community of churches and church leaders that we belong to. I'm ready to get their help.

No comments: